Title & Purpose

Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble:

for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand, Joel 2:1.


All quotations from the Scriptures will be from the Authorised Version - the best and most accurate English translation of the Scriptures.

Please see Sermons & Articles further down the Blog about why the Authorised Version is the best and most accurate English translation of the Scriptures

and why we reject the many perversions of the Scriptures, including those so beloved of many neo-evangelicals at present such as ESV & NKJV.

Beware of the Errors in The Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible! 
Featured Sermons:

Monday 8 October 2018

Quotable Quote - C H Spurgeon on Secondary Separation

In a sermon entitled "NO COMPROMISE" preached, 130 years ago, at the Metropolitan Tabernacle on Lord's day morning 7th October 1888, C. H. Spurgeon stated the following about his own practice of 'secondary separation':
"That I might not stultify my testimony I have cut myself clear of those who err from the faith, and even from those who associate with them." 

Spurgeon's text that morning was the words of Genesis 24:5-8: And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest? And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again. The LORD God of heaven, which took me from my father’s house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence. And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again.

The paragraph from which the quote is taken reads: When I go back to my Master, if I have faithfully told out his message of free grace and dying love, I shall be clear. I have often prayed that I might be able to say at the last what George Fox could so truly say: "I am clear, I am clear!" It is my highest ambition to be clear of the blood of all men. I have preached God's truth, so far as I know it, and I have not been ashamed of its peculiarities. That I might not stultify my testimony I have cut myself clear of those who err from the faith, and even from those who associate with them. What more can I do to be honest with you? If, after all, men will not have Christ, and his gospel, and his rule, it is their own concern.

The whole sermon can be found in Volume 34, Sermon No. 2047 of Spurgeon's Sermons. There is an online version here - The Spurgeon Archive

If you wish to read more about the issue of Secondary Separation then here is a link to an article written by the present minister of the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London, Dr Peter Masters. It is entitled: Secondary Separation - When to Stand Apart from Biblical Error.

No comments: