Title & Purpose
Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble:
for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand, Joel 2:1.
All quotations from the Scriptures will be from the Authorised Version - the best and most accurate English translation of the Scriptures.
Please see sermons down the left hand column of the Blog about why the Authorised Version is the best and most accurate English translation of the Scriptures
and why we reject the many perversions of the Scriptures, including those so beloved of many neo-evangelicals at present such as ESV & NKJV.
Saturday, 6 June 2009
False Prophecies of the Jehovah's Witnesses
I have discovered that one of the best ways to witness to them is to undermine their confidence in the Watchtower organisation and then tell them your own testimony of how Jesus Christ has cleansed from sin and has given the assurance of a home in heaven.
There are many documented false prophecies found in the writings of the Watchtower organisation. Here are a few:
1. Charlas Taze Russell, their founder, taught that 1874 marked the date of the second coming of the Lord, this teaching was held until 1943.
2. The date of the close of that 'battle' [Armageddon] is definitely marked in Scripture as October 1914, The Watchtower, 15th January 1892.
3. In 1898 the year 1914 was announced as the end of the world as we know it: In this chapter we present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the time of the Gentiles, i.e. the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914, The time is at Hand 1898, pages 76-77.
...the battle of the great day of God Almighty' ( Revelation 16:14 ), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced, The Time Is at Hand, page 101, 1898.
3. Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old, particularly those named by the Apostle in Hebrews 11, to the condition of human perfection, Millions Now Living Will Never Die, page 89, 1918.
4. In 1924 Judge Rutherford stated that: 1914 was the beginning of the end, and set 1925 as the new date for the end of the world, The Watchtower, 15th July 1924.
5. The year 1925 is here. With great expectation Christians have looked forward to this year. Many have confidently expected that all members of the body of Christ will be changed to heavenly glory during this year. This may be accomplished. It may not be. In his own due time God will accomplish his purposes concerning his people. Christians should not be so deeply concerned about what may transpire this year, The Watchtower, 1st January 1925, page 3.
6. Some anticipated that the work would end in 1925, but the Lord did not state so. The difficulty was that the friends inflated their imaginations beyond reason; and that when their imaginations burst asunder, they were inclined to throw away everything, The Watchtower, page 232, 1926.
7. There was a measure of disappointment on the part of Jehovah's faithful ones on earth concerning the years 1917, 1918, and 1925, which disappointment lasted for a time...and they also learned to quit fixing dates, Vindication, page 338, 1931.
8.… the evidence required, all of it, and it is overwhelming!’ that ‘the last days are here’ and Armageddon would take place in 1975, Awake! Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 8th October 1968.
9. The imminent events of 1975 were said to have been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time, Awake! Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 8th November 1974 page 11.
All these statements have be set within the context of what they themselves have stated. In 1972 the Jehovah's Witness Watchtower claimed to be the prophet of God, The Watchtower, 1st April 1972, page 197.
Deuteronomy 18:22 counsels us what we are do with these types of prophets: If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.